Thursday, September 22, 2011

A serious chat With Mum

Rivkah sprang to answer the telephone.
"Darling, How are you? This is Mummy."
"Oh Mummy," Rivkah said crying, "I'm having a bad day. The baby won't eat
and the washing machine won't work. I've sprained my ankle and I'm hobbling
around. On top of all this, the house is a mess and I'm supposed to have the
Minkys and the Rokens for dinner tonight. I haven't even had a chance to go
shopping."
The voice on the other end said in sympathy, "Darling, let Mummy handle it.
Sit down, relax and close your eyes. I'll be over in half an hour. I'll do
your shopping, tidy up the house and cook your dinner. I'll feed the baby
and I'll call an engineer I know who'll fix your washing machine. Now stop
crying. I'll even call your husband David at the office and tell him he
should come home to help out for once."
"David?" said Rivkah. "Who's David?"
"Why, David 's your husband....Is this 0208 123 3749?"
"No, this is 0208 123 3747."
"Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I dialled the wrong number."
There was a short pause, then Rivkah said, "Does this mean you're not coming
over?"

No comments: